Paper Tax Return Deadline Reminder

Tax Comments Off on Paper Tax Return Deadline Reminder

The deadline to submit your self-assessment paper tax return for the 2016/17 tax year is 31 October 2017.

All income received during the tax year running from 6 April to 5 April must be accounted for in your tax return.

To report your income, claim tax reliefs or any outstanding repayments, you need to complete the SA100 form.

You might need to fill in more sections, known as ‘supplementary pages’, if you’re reporting other types of income.

These include:

  • employees or company directors (SA102)
  • self-employment (SA103S or SA103F)
  • business partnerships (SA104S or SA104F)
  • property income (SA105)
  • foreign income or gains (SA106)
  • capital gains (SA109).

If sending a tax return for a business partnership, trustee or non-resident company there are additional forms to complete. These are available on the HMRC website.

What you need

In order to complete your paper tax return, you will need:

  • forms P60, P45 and P11D
  • business records
  • profit and loss account
  • bank statements
  • personal pension contributions certificates
  • gift aid donations.

Calculating your bill

Once you’ve submitted your paper tax return by the deadline, HMRC will calculate the amount of tax you need to pay, as well as a payment on account for the 2017/18 tax year.

If you owe less than £3,000 tax for the 2016/17 tax year, HMRC can try to collect the remaining tax from your wages or pension from 6 April via your PAYE tax code, but only if the paper tax return is submitted by 31 October 2017.

For help with your self-assessment, contact Sue Stephens.